Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Bush Fires and Evaculation Alerts!!!

So at around 11pm we got a knock on the doors from the neighbours to be told to look out the window.   This is what greeted us.   I took this photo and we are 4 houses up from the house on the left.  That's the Baptist Church on the right.   This is all I got before I realized I was in my pj's without a bra and maybe I should throw some more stuff in the car besides the passports, camera, computers,  birth certificates,  and other important paperwork.  So back into the house for clothes, and more photo albums, etc.   Kids were in the car!!  We eventually had the police come take phone numbers and say we were on 10 minute evacuation alert.   The fire had come about 700 metres near the houses by one point.   That was at 1am.  ( the kids were back in the house in bed as they were complaining a blue streak)   But by 2am one of the firefighters said they had it pretty much dealt with near our houses so we went into the houses to try to get some sleep.  I don't think I slept.  The kids were all in our beds so Eric and I tried the spare bed!!
Now have been woken up to the sounds of aircraft circling and dropping water.    It has apparently burned 50 hectares.   8 hectares is the size of a football field.   (Oh I just missed a perfect shot of the waterbombering going by!!!!)    They said at one point it was burning 3 metres every minute.    Fast.    Well I need a nap and maybe a coke! (I haven't had one for weeks)   Thank God Eric's parents had left Monday and Eric's brothers friend didn't come last night.  
Take care all.......  I'm going to put a movie on because the only one awake is Owen and myself and I can nod on the couch while he watches something. 

2 comments:

  1. Jeez, Joanne, that's waaaaaay too close by for comfort!!! Stay safe!!! Remco heard the bombers, but we don't even really notice the smoke up here... weird eh? Awesome pics by the way... too bad it's just so freakin' scary!! Off to pack a box... better safe than sorry! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Joanne!! I found an old email with this blog on it just now, wow it's great to see snaps of the family. Reading your blog I can hear your voice... Miss you guys. Annie colling

    ReplyDelete