Sunday, August 22, 2010

Farm Life

We drove to Sicamous, BC yesterday to get some tires for Eric's new project.    We stopped at the Dutchmen's Dairy.   You can go in and touch the Holstein's and the calves and have an ice cream.   I was struck by how far removed we've come from the farm life Eric and I grew up with.   Spending everday helping on the family farm.  Driving tractors,  cutting hay,  working from morning to late into the evening.   My kids instantly went ooh what is that smell and ooh poop!   What's this and I've never touched a cow before.   Meanwhile Eric and I had  kicked,  shoved,  fell into and been side swiped by a steer by their age.     I was instantly sad and wished we had bought a farm when we moved back to Canada.   I wish they were growing up with the same values we had.  Work ethic and respect for animals.  Exploring the barn for kittens and making forts, playing hide and seek.   I don't want the history of our ancestors that has been hundreds of years working farms die with my children.   I just don't know how to get them back to it.   When Eric's career is so far removed from farming.  More down feeling for me this weekend.   I'm in a huge black funk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment