Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving

I didn't get my camera out at all yesterday.   Maybe because I was cooking up a feast and didn't have time.   But I should have took a quick snap of the food at least or our guests.   6 Australians and 2 American's.   But I didn't.    So instead you have a quick snap of the after pumpkin pies.   It was a great meal if I do say so myself and everyone left stuffed and smiling from good talks and some nice wine. 
I will write a little of the history of Thanksgiving in Canada.   Because the Australians ask what's with the holiday and the American's ask why in October instead of November.    Everyone gets a different answer.   So I googled and here goes.   Canadian's celebrate Thanksgiving to give thanks to a successful harvest which our season is earlier then the American's thus October instead of November.   The American's celebrate the piligrams arriving into the New World.   Canadian's seem to took on the celebration like the Natives did when they arrived here.   Natives celebrated their harvest success sharing food.   Thus the holiday was born. 

2 comments:

  1. If Australian's had a Thanksgiving it would be just before another public holiday or on a Monday or Friday. Either it would be to give thanks to our public holidays or give thanks to the good old long weekend!!
    MMMMM miss your pumpkin and cherry pies....
    Glad you had a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo before I forget did you do roast pumpkin as well???

    ReplyDelete