Friday, June 17, 2011

Mining




These photos are random photos taken over the years by my husband at various mines in various countries.   So don't ask me about any details!!  
Why I am writing about mining today is because I read an article in the local newspaper that got my blood boiling.    Over the year as I have read the newspaper here in Kamloops I get more and more annoyed with how everyone complains about everything.    How everyone rejects anything new coming into town or new for the province.     It just makes me unhappy reading the paper and I have contemplated getting rid of the paper all together.   I don't need to feel this way about the town I'm living in on a daily basic.    Because it just makes me want to leave. 
Today the paper wrote about an open house a proposed new mine was having for the city.   Everyone was upset about everything!!!    But what really hit me was the lady saying " This is the only mine I have every heard of so close to 85,000 people"       The mine is to be located 10 km away from the town.    Well I have lived in towns with the mine being a lot closer to the population then this!!!   But excuse me I guess 10,000 or under people doesn't matter.     I guess the hundreds of hours,  years,  and man power of research and testing that the mining people have down doesn't count.   Therefore I should have kids with arms growing out of their heads and purple skin because I've spent the last 12 years of my life living in a mining town so close to the mine!!!   The fact that people in Kamloops don't trust their government upsets me.    The paper work and regulations that the mines have to pass before the government will even look at them is unbelievable and still people don't think their government has their  best interest at heart.     Well I guess that is true because the government spent millions of dollars on the Stanley Cup for the citizens best interest and still the people rioted.     I could go on but then that would be talking with emotion instead of facts which many many of the people at that open house did.    They couldn't give the courtesy to the project manager to do some research of their own to back up stuff they were spouting from their mouths. 

1 comment: